Pages

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Songs for Sam

I've always loved songs for their lyrics, and when I was pregnant it seemed like suddenly almost every song, old and new, was somehow about that little life growing inside of me.

Songs that had previously made me think of other things were making me think of my baby instead. Songs that were meant to be romantic were reminding me of my unborn son. Sometimes it was only just a line or two that made me think of him. I would hear these songs on the radio, while driving in my car. And I would sing along with them, and cry tears of overwhelming love and joy and fear. Yes, I was that freak next to you at the stoplight belting it out like I was performing a live concert for an arena of people. Gotta love them hormones!

But even now those songs still remind me of my little guy, and they sit compiled in a playlist called "Bean" on my iTunes. Sometimes I put them on for him to hear while I sing along (I don't sing to him too loudly- wouldn't want to harm his hearing at such a young age!). Sometimes I just listen to them and reminisce about being pregnant, and about how much he has grown since he was born.

I'd like to burn these songs onto a CD, complete with a booklet of lyrics, for him to have one day. Of course, who knows if CDs will become obsolete by then, but I'm sure I can hold on to an old CD player for him to listen to when the time comes ;)

So here is my "Songs for Sam" playlist so far, with a little blurb about what the song means to me. I've also linked them to their videos on YouTube in case anyone is so inclined to listen to them :)

Haven't Met You Yet - Michael Buble
This was the first song that made me think of my future baby, even before we ever started trying to get pregnant.  I'd always been a little bit on the fence about kids in general, but even then I knew that once that child came into our lives I'd love it like nothing I'd ever loved before.

Stereo Hearts - Gym Class Heroes
This song was big during my pregnancy. Like every time I got in the car I would hear it, twice. And while most of the lyrics didn't relate, I always loved the lines 

"My heart's a stereo
It beats for you so listen close
Hear my thoughts in every note..." 

because he is the only one who has ever heard my heart from the inside, and while I was pregnant my heart truly was beating for him- to keep him alive and growing.

A Thousand Years - Christina Perri
This whole song speaks to me, I wouldn't even be able to pick out just one line if I tried.

Landslide - the Glee version (I know, I know, I'm such a loser)
I'm not totally sure what this song was actually about, but to me it was about growing up and leaving that place where everything in my life revolved around myself.

Never Gonna Be Alone - Nickleback (Yes, I realize this probably makes me a bigger loser than the Glee song)
A promise to Sam, that I will be here for him through thick and thin. And also a bit of regret about being on the fence for so long, and not bringing him into the world sooner so that I could have started my life with him earlier.

Love You Like a Love Song - Selena Gomez
Haha, okay this song is totally cheesy and not at all meant to be from a mother to her infant son...but hey, I can't help it. It's catchy. And it does have the word "baby" in it. 

I Won't Give Up - Jason Mraz
This is such a powerful song to me. Every word resonates. It's my promise to Sam that not only will I be with him through thick and thin, but I am also committed to keeping my marriage and our family together. It also admits that I'm not perfect, but I will keep trying.

Never Quit Loving You - Jill Barber
Another promise to Sam, that my love is unconditional. And really, I believe our children are the only people in our lives to whom we can truly make the promise of unconditional love.

Sweet Child of Mine - Sheryl Crow
Pretty self-explanatory. I like the Sheryl Crow cover because she sings about a male child.

Home - Phillip Phillips
The world is such a crazy place in general, and toss in a baby who has to learn about it all...And a girl who suddenly has to be a mother to that baby. This is my promise to help Sam navigate life, and make this crazy world his home.

I still sing these songs out loud in the car, and I still cry a lot of the time while I'm doing it. And I'm adding new songs all the time. My  hope is that one day he will hear these songs, or read their lyrics, and really know just how much I love him.

What about you? Any songs that remind you of your children?




No comments:

Post a Comment