Pages

Thursday, November 8, 2012

The Switch to Cloth Wipes...

So, while the switch to cloth diapers seemed like an excellent and totally manageable idea to me, for some reason switching to cloth wipes seemed a little too far over the edge. How would I keep the wipes moist? Would they clean up as good as disposables? How would I transport them? Just how much poop-laden items did I really want to be handling and washing?

When you change a disposable diaper and use disposable wipes, the wipes go into the disposable diaper, you roll it all up into a neat little package, and throw the whole thing out. But when you change a cloth diaper and you're using disposable wipes, you suddenly realize that the wipe has nowhere to go. So when your baby poops you are left with this wet, poop-smeared towelette that transfers poop to anything it might touch and looks really gross sitting there in your garbage. This wasn't really so terrible when I was at home because we have a separate plastic bag for diaper garbage, however going over to someone's house and trying to discreetly dispose of the wipes was kind of awkward.

I very quickly realized that cloth wipes really wouldn't be that big of deal, and decided that it would actually be easier to have a piece of reusable fabric that I could just toss into the dirty diaper bin.

At first I was just going to use baby washcloths, or cut up receiving blankets. But then one night as I was pouring over one of my new go-to informational blogs, Cloth Diaper Addiction, I stumbled on a post that gave Sweet Bobbins cloth wipes a super great review. I love Etsy and I love supporting the people who have enough talent to create wonderful things by hand. So I went to check out their shop and fell in love with their adorable, two-sided cloth wipes. One side is a super cute flannel print, and the other is a super soft layer of organic bamboo velour. I did some quick math, figured I'd use about 10 wipes a day, and decided to order 30 so that I could always have 10 on the go if I did laundry every two days. The shipping was fast, the seller was super friendly, and I just have to say these wipes are GREAT! One of these wipes easily does the work of four disposables when cleaning up those messy poops. And of course, I'm a sucker for all things cute!

Just a few of the super adorable prints!

The next thing I had to figure out was how to store them and how to keep them moist. I wanted something with a bit more cleaning power than regular water, and I didn't want to be running to the sink to wet a wipe every time I changed a diaper. So I saved the reusable dispenser from my disposable wipes, and I ordered a sample of Monkey Doodlez Wipe Cubes. The cube dissolves in two cups of water, and there's your wipe solution.

For even more convenience, I folded the cloth wipes in such a way that when I pulled one out of the dispenser another would poke out, just like disposable wipes or kleenex! Then I poured about a cup of the solution over the wipes, which was enough to moisten all 10 of them.


Folded so that they pull each other through the dispenser


In the dispenser - as convenient as disposables!

I'm loving this new system, and all I need now is a portable wipes container so I can bring these babies with me and ditch the disposables altogether!

No comments:

Post a Comment